Protects regulators and gas cylinders against flashback and burnback from the welding / cutting flame
- Non-return valve preventing reverse flow of gases, thereby preventing a gas mixture from reaching pipelines or cylinders.
Flame filter to quench the flame front of a flashback or a burnback
- Temperature activated cut-off to prevent further gas supply in case of fire (activated if the temperature rises to approx. 100° C)
- Pressure activated cut-off to prevent further gas supply after a flashback (activated by the pressure shock in front of the flashback)
- Pressure relief valve to vent off excessive pressure in case of flashback or wrongly set working pressure (on W-66S only)
- Indicator lever showing that the pressure activated cut-off has been activated; the lever is also used for resetting the flashback arrestor (W-66 only)
- Indicator ring showing that the pressure activated cut-off has been activated; the ring is also used for resetting the flashback arrestor (S55 only)
Maritime authorities, such as the Norwegian Maritime Directorate, require the installation of flashback arrestors for acetylene and oxygen, as incorrect maintenance or use of gas welding equipment may cause flashbacks of various types.
Normally these will stop in a well designed torch, and are only noticed as a popping sound in the torch. However, faulty handling, maintenance or gas pressure setting may lead to a penetrating flashback. This means that the gas flame passes back through the hose(s). In some cases it may also pass the regulator and ultimately reach the cylinder.
The flashback arrestors supplied by Unitor are designed for use both with gas cylinders and gas outlet stations and incorporate the safety functions in the 'Features' list above.
The flashback arrestors are build Conform to: EN 730/ISO 5175 and with BAM Certification no.: ZBF/009/12
Flow capacity (m3/h)
Inlet pressure (bar)
FLASHBACK ARRESTOR W-66S ACETYLENE
FLASHBACK ARRESTOR W-66S OXYGEN
FLASHBACK ARRESTOR S55 AC
FLASHBACK ARRESTOR S55 OX